A recognized Affinity Community may apply for funding through The Affinity Community Assistance Program (ACAP) which is supported by the Office of Alumni Engagement of the University of Calgary and administered by the Affinity Community Committee of the Alumni Association. The program provides financial assistance to Affinity Communities for their programs, events, and projects as they relate to university goals. The University of Calgary Alumni Association is proudly dedicated to engaging our entire alumni community by fostering pride, spirit and tradition. The university, together with the alumni association, provides exceptional value and ongoing support to our alumni worldwide.
The Affinity Communities Committee of the Board may deny any request for funding based on a Community’s failure to adhere to the below guidelines or any action by a Community that is not consistent with the mission and purpose of the Alumni Association.
- You have been recognized as an Affinity Community by the Alumni Association
- Application must be submitted by an active member of the Affinity Community
- Up to $2,000 per program, event, or project may be awarded. No more than two (2) applications per group, per funding year
- Applications must demonstrate how the project/event will help achieve the following goals:
- Strengthen the UCalgary network
- Launch or grow Affinity Community membership base
- Achieve or make progress on specific Affinity Community objectives (this refers to objectives the group highlighted on their Affinity Communities application form)
- Promote mentorship of students and/or alumni
- Faculty-based affinity communities must demonstrate that the program/event is an affinity community led initiative and not a faculty led initiative (consider how this event will help the affinity community reach its goals and if this event would exist without the affinity community)
- Funding does not cover the cost of alcohol, cannabis or any operating costs (exceptions to operating costs may be made upon discussion)
Conditions of Funding:
- UCalgary Alumni Association must be acknowledged in all marketing materials including web postings, invitations, and news stories
- Events should fall into one or more of the four focus areas: professional development; personal development; pride, spirit, and tradition; and philanthropy
- Receipts, final attendance lists, pictures and event recaps should be sent to your UCalgary Affinity Community liaison within five (5) business days of event
- Applications must include an estimated budget at time of submission
- Retroactive and late applications will not be considered
- Affinity Communities remain responsible for all planning and implementation of the program/event
The UCalgary Alumni office will process funding requests on a first-come first-served basis until all program funds for the programming year (April 1-March 31) are disbursed.
Following evaluation, successful applicants will receive an agreement confirming details and conditions of funding. Funding will be provided following sign off.